Third interview/ Movies and Videos

 Topic: Movies and Videos

Interviewer; Yutaro

 Interviewee; My grandparents, Yoshiaki (88 years old) and Takako (83 years old) from Japan


Hello, I am Yutaro from Japan. I did interview to my grandparents about Movies and video. Then, I found some differences from nowadays. So, I will share it today.

Through this interview, I asked them about movie theater because I can easily imagine it will be totally different from nowadays. Actually, it was not that different from what I expected.

In their town, there are movie theater. In the theater, it has concession stand, and my grandmother likes to buy soda. However, it is not as big as the one now. When it comes to my grandfather, his house is very close from the cinema. Thus, he often visits there alone. Here is the picture of the cinema below this sentence. It is run until 1970s. 

My grandpa said;
"I like to go there alone and chill in the cinema. That was totally a new experience for me because I just know small screen on TV until then."
As he said, a cinema is one of the new stimuluses for people. 

My grandparents usually go there at night because of their job, so I can say people usually do it after working.

In Japan, Samurai movie was one of the popular movies at that time. Gradually, the variation was expanded. Japan starts importing western culture, so there were some movies coming from western culture. Before that, the cinema had limited number of variations.

My grandmother said;
"I like to go there with my friends. People do not go there as dating because it was kind of weird for us at that time."

She said dating at cinema is weird because there is one old culture which disturbs their dating. It is called "Omiai", a meeting that a man and a woman meet on purposely. Both of them will check to see each other whether the other will be worthful for marriage. The meeting is set by their parents. This culture make them difficult to having a date. Thus, the cinema is just a place for hanging out with your friends or family.

After a few decades, people can buy DVD in Japan. However, most people prefer to go to the cinema according to my grandparents. That is because people are already get used to its culture. 

As you know, people like to use subscription system like Netflix, Hulu and so on. Yet, my grandparents have never tried those kinds of stuff. Even, they have never used renting video, which was surprising thing for me.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth interview : Advertisement/PR