The First Interview/ Recordings, Radio

Interviewer; Yutaro

Interviewee; My grandparents, Yoshiaki (88 years old) and Takako (83 years old) from Japan


For the first time of the interview, I did ask them about a recording and radio. I did a variety of questions about recordings to them. Today, I am going to make a summary of them. Also, I appreciate them that they accept my interview very kindly. When I start having an interview, they were confused a little bit. This is because it's hard for them to remember everything that they use easily. Also, they had been growing up during WWⅡ, especially in their childhood. This would be one of the reasons that they could not remind all the information very easily.

Recordings;
"Do you have any favorite recording artist at that time? How do you listen to it? "
Grandpa said
"Haha, to be honest, I did not listen to music when I was a child. Also, we cannot afford to use my time for it because we are poor and busy for working hard to make some foods with our rice field."
Grandma
"Same here, but my family sometimes use recordings to listen to music."

Their age is five years difference, which helps me. What if they are the same age, they may have same case. My grandmother told me when I was a first year of elementary school student, WWⅡ ended. This means they have a different experience during their teenage.
Now, I decided to ask my grandmother mainly. She told me the machine was a kind of furniture for her. We managed to find it and finally we reached the similar one. It is called 4 channel stereo.
I tried to find her first experience of this audio. However, her family use this machine and she is not allowed to touch it. When they are children, western movies song, Seibugeki in Japanese, is common for people in Japan. She told me how to get records itself. Normally, people reach them with phone call in order to buy. She said that was one of the memorable experiences for her because the parents bought one set which includes 10 slices of records. She was a little child, so it is surprising stuff for her that only one phone call connects to buy 10 of the records. Nowadays, my grandparents do listen to music with only TV programs. Also, my grandmother mentioned to the change of the format to hear sounds, which is radio.

My grandparents still have the record of Western film (Seibugeki). ↓


Radio;
When it comes to radio, it is a super expensive thing for people in Japan. My grandparents told me a story that their parents had never allow them to use it, even to touch. Therefore, it was positioned to the highest place in the living room and only adult people can play the radio. In other words, children are allowed to listen to the radio with their family.
My grandpa said
"There is only one program in our radio by the Japanese government. Also, it is used as an educational tool. I hate it in that point."
Grandma said
"When I was a child, I did listen to radio drama with my family. That was one of the entertainment tools for me."
I found the radio had only one channel by Japanese government before the ends of the WWⅡ. They cannot choose the channel they want. FM and AM radio is common words now in our life. With my grandparents' memory, it became popular around 1970s. As it has more and more channels, the form of the radio has been changed too. Like this, they have been adult with radio. Sadly, they do not listen to the music nowadays thanks to TV.

Through the interview, I can understand mass media experiences are a bit different from the generation. Moreover, I have never talked about the past stuffs with my grandparents. That was a good opportunity to know it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth interview : Advertisement/PR